23 August 2016

Pumpkin Spice - Autumn Blessings


One of the blessings of Autumn is pumpkin spice. This card celebrating Autumn features embossing, resist, and a layered card.

Challenges

Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge: Make for the Border
Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps Wednesday Challenge: Anything Goes
Scrapbook.com Layout Challenge: Mixed Media Technique
Craft Your Passion: Anything Goes

Supplies


Putting It Together

The inspiration of this piece started with experimenting with Distress Inks on water colour card after having watched a video on a resist technique.


I smeared Distress Inks on to my worksurface: Worn Lipstick, Picked Raspberry, Fossilized Amber, Mustard Seed, Scattered Straw, and Squeezed Lemonade. I then sprayed the inks with water and dragged the watercolour cardstock through them. I used the heat tool to dry the ink and then sprayed the card with more water and blotted some off. Using the blending tool, I sponged more of some of the inks on the card. The pinks and yellows combined to a lovely orange and yellow panel.


I dried the card thoroughly and used talcum powder over the whole surface as an anti-static. I cut a paper mask rectangle for the centre. I stamped pumpkins with Versamark ink and added Wow White Pearl embossing powder. From other projects, I had discovered this embossing powder is transparent with a pearled appearance. Using this embossing over the coloured panel "traps" the colour under a resist surface. I used a very wet wide brush to lift some of the colour from around the pumpkins, leaving the centre the original.


I then used Vintage Photo with the blending tool to add some 'distress'. Even though I had dried my panel with the heat tool (not too much, didn't want to re-melt the embossing), damp areas sucked in more of the brown.


Wanting a raised centre of the same panel, I used a stitched rectangle to cut a frame.


I dry fit the two panels to find matting to enhance the panel.


I stamped the sentiment in Memento: Rich Cocoa and added leaves around the edge of the small panel with Rhubarb Stalk and Potter's Clay. As the autumn leaves fall to the ground, may you find blessings all around.


When adding the matting to the small panel, I used scrap from other projects. It doesn't matter than the centre back of the panel has a hole since it is not visible on the finished project.


For just a sliver of a border of each matting on the small panel, I first adhered the matting to the panel and then cut it with the trimmer.


After matting the bottom panel (and dry fitting the small panel), I decided I wanted to have stamped leaves there, too. Just as the embossed pumpkins resisted the water, so too do they resist the ink from stamping. Just to be sure it did not 'sink in', I wiped away the ink off of the embossed areas each time I stamped a leaf.



Since I had matted the panel before stamping the leaves, I had to mask off the matting when stamping close to the edges. I used s scrap of the rust mat. Over stamps on the centre don't matter because the small panel will cover them.


I added the smaller panel to the centre popping it up with foam mounting tape. I then added the full panel to a white card base.


I added in some sequins to give a bit of bling (and to cover a couple flaws). From different angles the embossed pumpkins have different colours.


 I am so happy to see Autumn coming. Autumn is my second favourite season. Autumn means Winter is coming. Winter is my favourite season :-)


Inspiration video for the Mixed Media techniques from Simon Says Stamp and Yana Smakula:

4 comments:

  1. Absolutely gorgeous! Love how you used this technique and made it your own. The fall colors are so beautiful! Thanks so much for playing Simon Says Stamp Wednesday “Make For the Border” Challenge! Beautiful colors and design. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great card with a perfect tutorial! Thanks for join us at Creative Moments this time, good luck and hope to see you next time. Hugs Beatriz DT

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful!!love it!! Thanks for joining our challenge with Kraftin Kimmie Stamps.
    Marilyn DT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a brilliant card that captures the season beautifully. Thanks for joining us at Craft your Passion challenges blog.
    Happy crafting!
    Catherine x DT

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.