21 August 2016

Score!


Summer Fun? This year it is the Olympics. Congratulations to the US Women's Olympic Volleyball team for winning the Bronze medal!

Challenges

Simon Says Stamp 15 August Monday challenge: Summer Fun
Emerald Creek Dares: Summer Play
Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps 17 August Wednesday challenge: Anything Goes
Through the Craftroom Door: Anything Goes
Inspiration Destination: Anything Goes
Penny's Paper Crafty: Anything Goes
Creative Moments: Anything Goes

Supplies


Putting It Together

I chose to do a card celebrating the US Volleyball team because one of my nieces is very involved in volleyball. Perhaps she, too, can bring home an Olympic medal someday for her sport. I originally got the Gabby stamp set with intention to make my niece a card.


I recently got a Misti and thought this would be a great time to use it. When stamping on watercolour cardstock, it can be difficult to get a good dark impression on the texture. To use the Misti you can put the uninked stamp on the cardstock, then close the door to transfer the cling of the stamp to the inside of the door. Ink it up and then..


..simply close the door to stamp.


Since the card stock is held in place with magnets, doing a double stamp is as easy as open the door, re-ink the stamp, and close the door again. I did a double stamp on Gabby and her ball.


For colouring now, I most often do watercolouring with Distress ink. I smush the ink pads on teh smooth side of a plastic divider sheet. I then touch my waterbrush to the smush spots as my palette. When I am done with a colour, I simply wipe it off with a wet wipe.


Even though I wanted a tanned Gabby, I started with a light colour, Tattered Rose, tinged lightly with Dried Marigold.


I added Victorian Velvet as shadowing. It's a pickish purple colour.


I added more of the lighter colours to blend and a little bit of Rusty Hinge for the tanning.


I used  Worn Lipstick on her mouth and Festive Berries for her tongue. Following the colour scheme of the US team, I coloured her uniform with Candied Apple and Blueprint sketch, lovely red and blue resepectively. I used Antique Linen, Scattered Straw, and Fossilized Amber for her hair.


The balls for Rio's games are coloured with their flag's colours so I used Abandoned Coral and Cracked Pistachio to colour Gabby's ball.


I gave Gabby brown eyes with Brushed Corduroy and a few more shadows on her hair as well. I finished with a washed background of Tumbled Glass.


I used a die and cut a disk from the painted cardstock.


I wanted to do an abstract representation of the Olympic rings, so I used the ECD Beaded circles to cut three sizes of circles in the colours yellow, black, blue, green, and red. I dry fit them on a card base with Gabby.


I abstractly glued down the rings on the cardstock.


I added foam mounting tape to the back of Gabby's disk to give her dimension.


I added a double flagged banner with the "Score!"


5 comments:

  1. adorable card and wow didn't all our Olympians do us proud...thank you so much for sharing with us over at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge...hugs kath xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super awesome card! I love that you picture and explain everything about your card!! Thanks for joining our challenge this week with Kraftin Kimmie Stamps.
    Marilyn DT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fab image (very topical!) and a fantastic colourful design. Thanks for joining us at Creative Moments.
    Chris
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow this card is awesome. I love the colors, the Olympic theme and the darling image. Thanks for joining us at Inspiration Destination.
    Billie A
    Inspiration Destination
    Catch the bug
    Creative with Stamps
    Aud Sentiments

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great card!! The abstract Olympic rings are sooo amazing!! Thank you for sharing with us over at Emerald Creek Dares!
    Cathy - Emerald Creek DT Member

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.