19 February 2017

Thank you


Sage, Dark Brown, Turquoise, and Gold are an unusual palette for a card, but rather pretty together.

Supplies


Putting It Together

I haven't done a resist with a.. umm drag through splotchy background so I thought this might be a good time to experiment. I had also recently bought Simply Art watercolour paper which has some sheets of hot press as well as some of cold press. I thought this would be a good time to give the hot press a try.


I stamped the large mandala from the Moroccan Nights set with VersaMark ink.

  
While embossing another piece, I boo-booed and mixed the Pearl and Clear embossing powders. I decided to used that mix on this piece to emboss the mandala.


To lay out enough colour for the smushy, draggy background, I laid the panel in front of the plastic work sheet. I blotched on Broken China, Ground Espresso, and Bundled Sage.


I sprayed water on the splotches...


.. then smooched and dragged the sheet through the wet ink.


This technique makes a very unique background.


To bring out the mandala more, I used a wide waterbrush and very wet inks in the same colours, with the addition of Mermaid Lagoon, to add colour to specific spots.


Where the embossing is, the ink resists leaving the pattern white. 


I put the panel on a piece of shop towel and, using a Mini Mister filled with gold Perfect Pearls and water, I sprayed the panel.


The gold adds an all over shimmer as well as droplets of gold where the Mister dripped intentionally.


The backside of the panel shows how well the paper stood up to the watery treatment. Even though the paper is 80lb it is very thin and more absorbent than the Canson and Strathmore papers I usually use. The Simply Art paper was especially absorbent at the embossing. I'm not sure I would use this paper for any project where I want crisp lines with water medium.


I dried the sheet with my heat tool and then decided to add Mermaid Lagoon to the edges. The paper absorbed the ink and pulled it into the panel. For this project it is a nice effect though it was unexpected.


I stamped the panel with a simple sentiment in High Dive hybrid ink. The colour is a good match for the Distress Ink Mermaid Lagoon but doesn't absorb in as much. I added the panel to a card base I made of Natural White and left the inside blank for a personal sentiment.



Challenges

Color Throwdown: Turquoise, Sage green, Gold, and Dark Brown
Try It On Tuesday: Let's Get Messy
Inspiration Destination: Anything Goes



6 comments:

  1. A unique background and great ideas on this card

    Thank you for joining us at Try it on Tuesday

    Love Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for joining us at Try it on Tuesday with this gorgeous project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the colour combo- so unusual! Thanks for playing along with us at TioT this time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous card thank you for joining us over on
    Inspiration Destination
    Dianne xx
    IDCB DT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Das sieht wunderschön aus.
    Eine kreative Idee !
    Danke für die Erklärungen zur Entstehung.
    Liebe Grüße

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful project, thanks so much for joining us at TIOT, Valerie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.