06 August 2016

Masque for the Ball


Today I took a detour into something a little more unusual. I decided to do a canvas piece a little mix media-ish combining resin, feathers, and paper elements. It is the mystery of a night, of time and masquerade.

Challenges

Simon Says Stamp Monday challenge: Celebrate
Try It On Tuesday: Leftovers and Scraps
Through the Craft Room Door: Anything Goes

Supplies



Putting It Together

One of the challenge inspirations is to use "leftovers and scraps". Thus, many of the items included in this project were things I had made or cut months ago and put into my basket of "hmmm" to possibly use at a later date. I will often make little experiments that I don't really have a use for, especially if I am between projects and poking about for inspiration. 


My basket is full of all sorts of bits, experiments with new dies or embossing folders. Cuts I made while working out a layout, and other stuff. I have only been playing this ardently with paper since Oct/Nov 2015 so my similar stash of do-dad experiments for resin, beading, and other media is a lot more substantial, oh and this is only the basket of little stuff, the bigger paper stuff is in a drawer (and finally moved off of half of my table).

The masque in this piece is one such resin experiment. I'm sad to say I don't have any photos of it in progress, or none that I could find that I took while making it. I might just have to make another one *laugh*. Basically, you can make just about anything into a mold. I used a rubber texture tile (one used for shaping clay) and a metal cookie cutter. I put mold release on the cookie cutter and sealed the edges where it met the texture tile with silly putty. Then I poured in a thin layer of resin. Oh, before I did that I added some colourant, Pearl Ex and Gilders Paste to the texture tile to have the colours meld with the resin as it cured. Yeah, I need to do another one of those some time. It's easy for me to explain, but not all that easy to picture in your head, right? Okay, suffice to say I had a 4" mask of resin in my stash of "hmm" for a while and this seemed a good time to use it. *laugh* 

While I was pawing through my paper cuts stash I saw the clock embossed and inked panel (with Vintaj patina inks, what I had at that time, since I had started with jewelry making stuff *laugh*) next to a wide decorative strip. I'm sure each was made shortly after I got the particular folder of die. I like rust colour with teal. It's a pairing that appeals to me in an odd way. 


I laid some items from my stash on my table and started shifting them around. An idea was blooming in my head.


I remembered I had a black canvas I have been wanting to use for a while and laid them out on there. Oh.. thinks I, yes, this will do. I wanted to add a touch of pearly white and found a sheet of the iridescent semi-translucent vellum-ish Media Mixage paper that I had used to cut this exact die for a different project. The sheet had just this die cut from it to make a perfect inlay location with the black background.


I decided I didn't want just a black background and so I liberally sprayed the canvas with Perfect Pearls in water. I used Grape Fizz and Confetti White. Then, which trying to dry it with my heat tool, I inadvertently touched the metal of the heat tool while it was hot. OW! Don't do that. 


I decided to trim the clock panel, trim out the 'blank areas. I added peacock herls, pearls and rhinestones as well to finish off the festive night mystery piece. It's the Belle of the Ball, with her masque. Time is Fleeting...

4 comments:

  1. An interesting canvas and a great idea to keep the leftovers in a basket to use later

    Thank you for joining in at Try it on Tuesday

    Love Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant leftovers creation on canvas. Mysterious!
    Thank you for sharing with us at TioT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your beautiful creation! The embellishments are fabulous! Thank you so much for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A good idea to keep all your scarps in a baskey. Thank you for sharing your lovely canvas with us at TioT's.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.