19 June 2017

Become


Butterflies are a symbol of rebirth, reincarnation, change, and transformation. They're a symbol of letting go and accepting what comes ahead. You should be proud of all that you accomplished and all that you will become. This is the beginning of anything you want.


This card features stamps from Unity Stamp Co, Distress ink, and Perfect Pearls in a resist watercolour.

Supplies



Putting It Together

Several weeks ago I was the thrilled winner of a Unity challenge, The prize pack was a grab bag with ooooodles of goodies. I was able to use one of the stamp sets from that prize on my card for today, the butterflies and sentiments stamped in brown. The painted butterfly is one I got before.



The inspiration for this project is the Unity {Show & Tell} Facebook group challenge, Be Inspired.


For the background, I used a pattern paper from Recollections, Book Print. Since the paper is so thin, I backed it with some value paper I had handy.



I trimmed the panel to 5 1/4" x 4", just smaller than an A2 size to allow for matting.


Using Distress ink and a blending tool, I distressed the panel: Walnut Stain, Vintage Photo, Ground Espresso, and Rusty Hinge.


The finished background panel.


I stamped the butterfly cluster with Rich Cocoa dye ink. Immediately after stamping, it's a lot brighter on the page.


After using the powder tool on the area, I stamped the open butterfly with  VersaMark and embossed it with black detail embossing powder from Emerald Creek. As you can see to the right, the butterflies stamped earlier have 'sunk' into the paper and are now less bright.


I painted the open butterfly with Perfect Pearls and a waterbrush to add shimmery colour. I also stamped a sentiment with Rich Cocoa. Though, after sinking in, the sentiment is not as distinct and prominent, for this project I rather like the background-iness of it.


I decided I wanted to use a black card base so I wanted to have a lighter coloured interior panel (easier to write a personal greeting on a light colour). I trimmed a panel in a neutral colour and distressed the edges with Vintage Photo and Rusty Hinge to fit with the front.


I added a bit more Rusty Hinge to the edges of the front panel and then adhered it to the card base.


For the inside, I stamped the top of the butterfly cluster stamp on the bottom and added an interior sentiment to go with the front. I then adhered the panel to the inside of the card base.




Challenges

Unity {show & tell} Facebook group: Be Inspired
Incy Wincy: Sparkle or Shine
Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge: Emboss It
Penny's Paper-crafty: Quick and Easy
Art Impressions: Let's Distress
Ching-Chou Kuik: Butterflies
Crafty Hazelnut's Patterned Paper challenge: Anything Goes
Addicted to Stamps and More: Anything Goes
Crafting From the Heart: Anything Goes

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful butterfly card.
    Thank you for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge.
    Luv
    Debby

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a fabulous card and I love it against the background text paper - very pretty. Thanks so much for joining us this time at the Craftyhazelnut's Patterned Paper Challenge, Elizabeth (DT)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love how the butterfly shines against the neutral background. Thank you for joining in the Sparkle or Shine challenge at Incy Wincy Designs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful butterfly card with vintage style. Thank you for joining us at Addicted to Stamps & More.
    Shylaa DT@ATSM
    Adhiraacreations

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely card you have made here which fits perfectly the Ching-Chou Kuik Digital Stamps Inspiration and Challenge Blog Monthly Challenge this month of “Butterflies”. Fantastic step-by-step details. Thank you for entering and best wishes in the draw. Kym (Ching-Chou Kuik Digital Stamps Design Team Leader).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.