09 June 2017

Graduate


One of my coworkers just graduated. This card was inspired by him and will be for him (I just have to remember to take it to work on Monday).

This card features graduation stamp sets by Unity Stamps, a background stamp by My Favourite Things, embossing and Perfect Pearls.

Supplies



Putting It Together

I've had this card in my head all day while I was at work. I had been pondering making a card for him and then this idea hit me like a bolt today. 


To make the background, I used removable adhesive to temporarily adhere the panel to the grid paper in the Misti. I lined up the background to cover the card and picked it up on the door. I used the powder tool on the panel before stamping it with VersaMark.

The paper is value cardstock from Micheals. I've picked up several colours of this paper when it's been on deep sale. It's handy having a variety of colours in my stash for matting or cards like this.


I brushed the panel with bronze Perfect Pearls.


The effect is similar to embossing but without any dimension, completely smooth but shimmery.


I stamped and embossed the male graduate on another panel of the same burgundy paper.  Then I used Spellbinders oval dies to cut it and a gold matte. I dry fit the ovals and a sentiment stamp on the background panel to see the idea coming together. I used the largest oval of the two sets of dies.


I stamped and embossed the sentiment in black on Natural White cardstock from Stampin' Up. This retired cardstock has a nice off-white colour that looks nice with the very burgundy card elements.


I used foam mounting tape on the two ovals to give the card a bit of dimension with the background and sentiment strip directly adhered to the black card base.


Inside the card, I added a panel of Natural White matted with the burgundy. With most pens, it's easier to write on a white or light coloured surface, so with a black card base I'll usually add a light panel. I stamped a second sentiment and added a cap from a Your Next Stamp set.


I used the same hat stamp on the front of the envelop. I first stamped with red and then with gold. 




Challenges

Simon Says Stamp Monday challenge: Masculine
Dies R Us: Make it Masculine
Crafty Cardmakers: For a Special Man
Fab 'n' Fabulous: Marvelous Men
Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge: Make it Masculine
Pearly Sparkles: Masculine
Love to Scrap: Boyz Rule
Crafty Gals Corner: Emboss It
A Bit More Time to Craft: Anything Goes
Crafting From the Heart: Anything Goes

10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous graduation card I love the embossed silhouette image and the embossing with the perfect pearls a great technique-this is about the best graduation card I have seen tbh--Thank you for joining us at Crafting From The Heart
    Carol DT x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful card with a great image, I'm sure your colleague will be thrilled with it. Thanks for playing along with us at Fab'n'Funky this week.

    Pat xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous card!! I love how you created the background and the heat embossed focal image is fabulous!! Beautifully done!! Thank you for joining in with our Special Man/Boy Challenge at Crafty Cardmakers. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW great job! I love this grad card ... so RICH! Well done! Thanks so much for playing in our ‘Masculine’ challenge at Dies R Us! Please come back again soon!

    Darlene (DRU Blog Leader)
    DIES R US CHALLENGE BLOG
    DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS Please come for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love the touch of gold on this card! It makes it even more special!
    Thank you for playing along with us over Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge, we all hope to see you again next week!
    X Zoey

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super cute!!! Thank you for joining us at Love to Scrap, good luck!!! Amy DT

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous Graduation card, love the gold on the red.
    Thank you for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge.
    Luv
    Debby

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! very striking and love the deep colour of that card works beautifully with the gold, thanks for joining us at Crafty Cardmakers x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome card! Lots of great techniques for a fantastic look. Thank you for sharing your design in our "For a Special Man/Boy or Father’s Day" Challenge at Crafty Cardmakers!
    :) Pam

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.