12 September 2017

Wish! - embossing, die cutting, ribbon, layers, designing while making


Make a WISH! A birthday card with fireworks behind a castle. Do you wish you could go to the "Happiest Place on Earth" for your birthday?

This birthday card features a trinket stamp from Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps (retired), a die cut castle from Spellbinders, holographic paper from Hot of the Press, embossing, and layers with ribbon, die cuts, and a silver background.



Putting It Together

For this card I started with a concept of Blue and birthday. I didn't feel like colouring so I decided I wanted to do a Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps trinket (the trinket sets are long retired, but they're rather nice, I hope she brings something like them back again in the clear stamps). I then designed the card as I put it together.


I use a coffee filter when pouring the embossing powder on the card. Then I can easily pour the excess powder back into the jar.


Before heat setting, the embossing is just powder on the sticky VersaMark


Heat setting makes the powder melt and become a lovely shiny silver.


I die cut the trinket with a stitched circle from Elizabeth Craft Designs and then, from the back, ringed the trinket with a ruffled ribbon.


I went over to my paper stash to look for something to go behind my trinket and my eye was drawn to the holographic paper.  I cut an A2 panel from the full sheet to make it easier to work with.


I dry fit a circle die to get a feel for the sizing. I was originally thinking of putting the trinket centred on the holographic circle.


I ended up die cutting the hologrphic circle smaller when I played with having them kind of side by side. And then another idea started to blossom.


I die cut a castle from blue foiled card and from scrap gold textured foiled.  I pieced the gold into the blue after backing the blue with a scrap of cardstock to hold the piecing.


The gold textured looks fantastic with the blue smooth.



I used a bit of Distress ink to run along the edge of the silver textured background.


I added foam mounting tape to the castle to pop it up from the fireworks circle. I LOVE how this looks.


I dry fit the two circles on the silver background. I had second thoughts about the gingham ruffled ribbon but I also like it. It's a lightly girly touch.  I doubled up the foam mounting tape under the trinket and used foam mounting tape under the firework circle, too.


For the inside, I stamped the first part of the sentiment in black and then, for the star and "Sparkle", I double stamped in a light blue and platinum silver. I wanted to have blue to tie to the front and also silver.



Magic!

Supplies



Challenges

Seize the Birthday: Blue, Green, or Aqua
Tuesday Throwdown: Happy Birthday
Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps Wonderful Wednesday: Anything Goes
The Paper Shelter: Layers
Art Impressions: Off-Kilter
Penny's Paper-crafty: Anything Goes

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your lovely crafting for Penny’s challenge 345 – hope to see you again soon – Hazel DT x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous card. You really went all out. I'm sure it will make someone's birthday extra happy.
    Debi DT TT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your background is amazing! Love the scene. Thanks for joining us at Tuesday Throwdown.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.